Trade shows unfortunately have a reputation of producing massive amounts of waste, but it doesn’t have to be that way. Guest expert Dr. Sue Tinnish, Dean of the Kendall College School of Hospitality Management, shares simple steps exhibitors can take to be more sustainable while also inspiring their vendors and partners to follow suit. Some topics covered include:
- What is APEX and what are the APEX/ASTM International Standards?
- How exhibitors, suppliers and venues can work together to change behavior
- Where to begin developing your company’s environmental policy for trade shows
- Why it’s important for the exhibit industry to be proactive
- What’s on the horizon for trade show sustainability
Dr. Tinnish is an industry thought leader in green meetings and events, having served as chair of the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) committee that established the APEX/ASTM International Standards for environmentally sustainable meetings and events and also as the U.S. Chair for the International Standards Organization (ISO) effort to develop a worldwide sustainable events management system. She can be reached at her website, www.SueTinnish.com.
Here are some additional resources about the APEX Standards discussed in this episode:
- Overview of the APEX/ASTM Environmentally Sustainable Meeting Standards
- List of the 9 Standards and how they were developed
- Green Meetings Task Force Report
Think Green Displays has also published a summary of APEX Standards that includes a glossary and additional resources.