Occasionally I still have an exhibitor ask why they should make the effort to be more environmentally-friendly in their exhibiting. It always leaves me scratching my head … how can anyone not see why this matters?
Recently I saw a post on LinkedIn with a shocking picture of a post-show convention center somewhere in Asia. As the author says, it looks like the aftermath of a bomb blast! (You really need to to see that photo to believe it!)
After nearly a half-century of Earth Day events (to be held this year in 192 countries), it seems like some people still don’t get it: we only have one planet to live on. We can’t let the trash take over!
Traditionally trade shows have gotten a bad reputation for being wasteful, and that photo proves there is truth to that – at least in some instances. Thankfully, here in the U.S., a lot of convention centers, show organizers, and exhibitors are doing their part to minimize the effects on the planet.
And the argument that going green is more expensive? That doesn’t hold up anymore. There are so many options for sustainability, both before, during and after shows.
- Reduce waste at all stages.
- Reuse items from the show (both exhibitors and show organizers).
- Recycle both in and out.
And while I won’t go into detail here, I am providing links to previous posts and podcast interviews that share a wealth of ideas for where you can begin. It’s time to finally end trade shows’ long-lived reputation of abusing the planet!
- Detroit’s Cobo Center Makes Going Green a Priority (podcast interview with Cobo Center GM Claude Molinari on what they are doing)
- Earth Day Edition: Exhibits Going Green (podcast interview with Matt Wish sharing tips on how to create a more environmentally-friendly display)
- Convention Centers Going Green (specific examples from around the country)
- Earth Day Edition: Sustainability at Trade Shows (podcast interview with Sue Tinnish on the APEX/ASTM International Standards for sustainability, plus links to learn more)
- Busting Green Exhibiting Myths (3 excuses our industry needs to stop using)
- This Week in Exhibit Industry News: Earth Day Edition (discover what CES and one convention center electrician have done to reduce waste, plus links to tips & checklists)
- How Green is Your Trade Show? (podcast interview with Scott McKye on some basic steps exhibitors and show organizers can take)